Although it might just be the turning of a calendar page, Januarys seem to be so much more than that. New beginnings, clean slates, fresh starts, who doesn’t love phrases like that? So how about you? Have you made any resolutions for the coming year? Perhaps you have significant changes looming on the horizon. Maybe a job change, a marriage and starting a family. Perhaps you are on the other side of this with retirement, empty-nesting, and downsizing. But I would also like to present you with a challenge. How about resolving to explore your community this year? To truly find out about the fantastic city you live in; the history, the people, the architecture, the local shops and restaurants, the parks and trails, the music….all the beautiful things that make Memphis and the surrounding suburbs so incredible. If this sounds like an adventure you would like to embark on, I can help! I love my city and many times use this blog and my social media pages to bring attention to many of the incredible events and opportunities offered. I will also be reviewing local shops and restaurants in the coming months to bring attention to the talent and creativity the area has to offer. This is where you, the reader, play a part in all of this. If you see a business you would like to know more about or think others need to know about, let me know. Know about an event or celebration going on in your community…drop me a line so I can share it with others. Know of an individual that is doing something amazing and making a difference, let me know. We all know how fast bad news can travel, let’s prove good news can travel twice as fast! Now, on to some January adventures….
- Inspire Community Cafe 510 Tillman Street Suite 110 (Sam Cooper @Tillman)-I truly can’t say enough good things about this place! They offer a fantastic menu of breakfast, lunch or dinner items, provide an environment of love and acceptance, pay all their employees a living wage and give 10% of net profits back to the community…that is a win/win if I’ve ever seen one!! Check out the link above and give them a try….you will not be disappointed!
- January 15-January 20 the Orpheum host the musical hit Waitress.
- January 18th-February Theater Memphis will host Harper Lee’s timeless novel To Kill a Mockingbird
- If you are looking for something of a more adult nature, January 18th from 6:30-9:30 The Pink Palace will be hosting the 6th annual Science of Beer
- Was getting more exercise and enjoying the outdoors part of your New Year’s goals? If so the Wolf River 5k race is for you! It will take place on January 19th at 8 am at Wolf River Greenway Trail Head on Humphries Blvd. Proceeds will benefit the Wolf River Conservancy
- And finally, one of my favorite days in the 901…MLK Days of Service. This year there will be events taking place throughout the city January 18-January 21st. This is a wonderful opportunity to give back to our city and serve alongside your family and friends. Opportunities are child-friendly and show them that one person can make a difference. I will cover this in more detail next week, but for now, check out this link for a more detailed listing of ways to get involved.
So get out there, explore your community and share with us, and your family and friends what a great place the 901 truly is!!