Court Square Fountain

36857659_2606115286080820_2304337580226772992_n

Hebe Fountain in court square was funded through donations from several of the cities most prominent citizens and was dedicated on May 27, 1876, in observance of the nations Centennial. The sculpture weighs in at 7,000 pounds and stands approximately 20 feet high. It is named after the Greek mythological figure Hebe who was a cupbearer to the gods. It was toppled during strong winds in 1942 and due to the expense and rigors of World War II was placed in storage until it could be repaired and reerected in 1949. It still stands proudly in court square and is a beautiful part of downtown history.